Monday 21 January 2013

Sweet Potato, Squash, Parmesan & Pumpkin Seed Muffins

Whilst on a visit to London last summer I had a delicious savoury muffins from a street 'foodie' market with sweet potato and feta cheese. I have search high & low for a similar recipe to no avail. Sew I have culled information from a number of sources and made up my own.

I am proud to present my:

Sweet Potato, Squash, Parmesan & Pumpkin Seed Muffins

220g Plain Flour
2 Teaspoon Baking Powder
250g Low Fat Yoghurt
4 Tablespoon Olive Oil
40g Parmesan Cheese - grated. 2 thirds for in the muffins, 1 third to sprinkle on the top.
80g Squash - chopped into small chunks & steamed for 5 minutes till just soft
80g Sweet Potato - chopped into small chunks & steamed for 5 minutes till just soft
30g Pumpkin Seeds
2 Eggs
Salt & Pepper


In a large bowl mix all the dry ingredients: Flour, baking powder, 2 thirds of the Parmesan, salt & pepper


Mix the wet ingredients: Yoghurt (I only had 220g of yogurt so made it up with milk and it hasn't seemed to make any difference) , Eggs, Oil.

Pour into the dry ingredients



Then add the squash, sweet potato pumpkin seeds 



And gently fold all together.

Put into your prepared muffin cases. sprinkle with the reserved Parmesan cheese. It made a perfect 12 muffins.

I received some of this new parchment paper that is coated with foil. I cut it into squares and pushed it into the muffing tin with spice jar. It keeps the shape of the tin because of the foil and it all lovely and shiny silver on the out side.


Bake for approx 15-20 minutes at 200 C, gas No. 6 Check by inserting a skewer, if it comes out cleanly they are cooked. As I will be freezing & reheating these I erred on the soft side.



They turned out beautifully. Moist, tasty and yes there is a bit missing - I just had to have a bite and they are very yummy!
I'll be freezing these to stop me eating them all too quickly and because I plan to take them to work for lunch with a bowl of soup

5 comments:

  1. me again XD
    I really want to try my hand at this recipe, it looks different and delicious.

    lefroggy
    QUICK Follow my Blog swap! #1

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow these look so yummy! I'm adding this recipe to my must try list.

    Katrina Alana

    ReplyDelete
  3. Really great recipe, I will try it soon ;) And I'm your new follower via GFC ;)

    Kalise
    QUICK Follow my Blog swap! #1

    ReplyDelete
  4. Mmmmm why am I not at home to eat all of these?!? They look fab - the foil/parchment stuffs a keeper by the looks of it :) I might have to make some of these for lunches next week, homemade salmon quiche this week though om nom nom nom! xox

    ReplyDelete
  5. I really must add this recipe to my must try list. Muffins look really delicious!

    vilima from QUICK Follow my Blog swap! #1

    ReplyDelete