Sunday 24 February 2013

Multi Seeded Flapjack / Granola Bars

After packing a few more boxes I rewarded myself with a baking session. 

There was a a very good reason to this. This recipe is a great way of using up lots of the little bits you get leftover from your other baking. I don't know about you but I have loads of packets & jars & boxes with just a few grams/ounces left in the them.

This is meant to be a healthy recipe and is loaded with good stuff but it also contains quite a goodly portion of sugar, syrup & butter etc so not what I would call a low calorie munchie - However it is extremely yummy.

I'll give you the proper recipe here first and then I'll tell you at the end what I actually put in it today.

100g Unsalted Butter
150g Golden Syrup
150g Light Brown Sugar

Melt these together in the microwave

1 Teaspoon Vanilla Essence
200g Rolled Oats
30g Pumpkin Seeds
30g Sesame Seeds
30g Sunflower Seeds
30g Pistachio Nuts
30g Whole Almonds
60g Chopped Dried Fruit

Add every thing else - easy peasy!

Spread and press down well into a lined tin 25cm x 35cm (10" x 14")

Bake at Gas No. 5, 180 C for bake for 10-20 minutes (if you use a smaller tine & make them thicker they will need more time.) until golden brown.

Leave for about 10-20 mins in the tin to set before slicing, but do it before it gets cold

 * * * * * * * * * 

Here's what I put in today:


100g Unsalted Butter
150g Golden Syrup
150g Soft Light Brown Sugar/Light Brown Muscavado Sugar


90g Mixed Seeds (sunflowers seeds, sesame seeds & pin nuts)

80g raisins/sultanas
50g coconut shavings
50g mixed peel
1 Teaspoon Vanilla Essence
200g Rolled Oats


80g mixed whole almonds, pecans, walnuts - roughly chopped


I have in the past also used dried cranberries, apricots, cherries, crystallised ginger etc so anything goes really.


 

It's hard not to eat it at this stage!



I'm rather proud of this bowl. It's recycled and was formerly the door of my old washing machine!



When baked & cut up it makes about 36 bars 
 

May have to take a few in to work tomorrow so I don't eat it all myself!



1 comment:

  1. Mmmm I want some! Snacky things here are scarce! I suggest pre-Easter weekend baking btw...x x x

    ReplyDelete